Saturday, July 23, 2011

Visual Effects Update

Okay, I confess. I'm not the world's biggest fan of visual effects. I hate the fact that, most of the time, these effects take front and center in a movie instead of the story (looking at you Michael Bay).

However, I love it that filmmakers are able to use visual effects to enhance their films. These effects are often overlooked, because they are integrated so well into the film the audience does not even realize they are seeing an effect (thank you Black Swan).

No matter what my feelings toward visual effects may be, they are here to stay. So I decided to try my hand at making a movie with a few visual effects in the way I feel they should be used. In order to do this, we had to find the very best compositor we could. That's why we asked Pat Longstreth, and thankfully, he agreed to take on the work.

Today, I was able to finally see "Dawn" in the way it was meant to be seen. And it was great! We only had around 13 VFXs, but they were essential to our film, and I'm very excited that they are finished. So excited in fact, that I wanted to share one of them with you. Here's a "before and after" shot for you:





Pretty sweet, huh? Yeah, I know it's not a giant, fighting robot. That's what makes it cool to me, though. The fact that you can't tell it's a visual effects shot is exactly what a film like this should look like, and I can't thank Pat enough. Working with him also reminded me of why I love films so much. It's a collaborative effort. Everyone on the team brings something to the table, and it's makes the film become something more then what the writer, or director, first thought it could be.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the sneak peek. You'll be able to see the rest of the effects once the film is released...

Or will you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment